We are purity pioneers. Science champions. Leaders in natural innovation committed to upholding the wisdom of plants. And it’s in our DNA to be unapologetically strict about our safety standards.
We believe there’s nothing more important than the ingredients we use — they are the meticulously chosen backbone of our thoughtfully crafted formulas.
Every Prima product is naturally sourced and obsessively tested. And we have an industry-defining commitment to transparency, accountability, traceability and safety — going far above and beyond what is legally required in the United States. Because frankly, we would accept nothing less.
At Prima, clean means product formulations made without harmful, questionable or harsh ingredients. That means NO ingredients known to be carcinogens, reproductive toxins, neurotoxins, developmental toxins, endocrine disruptors, or that cause organ toxicity, DNA or cell damage or environmental harm.
Your health and safety are our top priorities. Our list of over 2800+ chemicals and materials we choose NOT to use — many of which have potential for health, eco-toxicity and/or contamination concerns — reflects this commitment to you.
Our restricted list will evolve over time as we continually monitor and survey international regulatory bodies, regulatory experts, reputable nonprofit organizations, safer alternative advocates, environmental health watchdogs, and scientific researchers in the field of toxicology and sustainability for substances linked to adverse health effects.
The resources we look to in order to inform this ingredient selection include:
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration
- European Union (as listed in the COSING database)
- Health Canada (as listed on the Cosmetics Ingredient Hotlist)
- Japan’s Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare
- Personal Care Products Council’s Cosmetics Ingredient Review
- International Agency for Research on Cancer
- National Toxicology Program
- U.S. EPA’s Integrated Risk Information System
- U.S. EPA’s Toxics Release Inventory
- U.S. EPA’s Safer Choice
- Chemsec SIN
- California Compliant: Proposition 65 / CARB / Calif. Safe Cosmetics Program (CSCP)
- EU REACH Candidate List
- EU – Cosmetics Regulation Annex II;
- EU – Priority Endocrine Disruptors (Categories 1, 2)
- EU REACH – Annex XVII CMRs (Appendices 1-6)
- EU’s Globally Harmonized System
- International Fragrance Association
- National Toxicology Program’s Report on Carcinogens
- The International Agency for Research on Cancer
- Cradle to Cradle
- Made Safe
- EcoCert Cosmo Natural
- The Sustainability Consortium
- EWG’s Skin Deep Database
Lastly, while all of our ingredients are sourced with a high standard of safety and quality in mind, it is well recognized — and accepted by regulatory authorities around the world — that incidental, extremely low trace levels of a chemical may inadvertently be introduced in a product due to the complexities of the supply chain and manufacturing process. At Prima, we work incredibly hard to minimize — but unfortunately, can’t eliminate — the potential that a product may contain trace levels of a chemical. With industry-leading testing, we work to ensure the incidence of this is as minimal as possible.
Ammonium Laureth Sulfate
Benzene, Benzoic Acid
BHA (Butylated Hydroxyanisole) & BHT (butylated hydroxytoluene)
Formaldehyde (& releasers/donors)
High Fructose Corn Syrup
Hydrogenated oils (supplements)
Mercury + Mercury Compounds
Methyl Cellosolve / 2-Methoxyethanol
Mineral Oil / Petrolatum
Perfluorinated and Polyfluorinated compounds
Polysorbate-20 & Polysorbate-40
Polyvinyl chloride (PVC)
Quaternary ammonium compounds
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) & Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES)
Synthetic / natural fragrance (will always disclose aromatic material)
TBHQ (tertiary butylhydroquinone)
Triphenyl Phosphate (Phosphoric Acid)