CBD is seemingly everywhere these days, showing up in a range of product categories, some beneficial and some altogether questionable (CBD athleisure, anyone?). That said, one product category that has certainly earned its place in the CBD space, is skincare. Masks, lotions, serums and moisturizers infused with CBD are now being offered as add-ons in spas and salons and are even hitting the shelves of your favorite beauty retailers — and for good reason.
What does the science say about CBD and your skin, and how can you implement this game-changing ingredient into your daily skincare routine? Here’s what you should know:
First, some CBD 101
CBD stands for Cannabidiol, one of the many phytocannabinoids found in cannabis, including hemp. Your body produces its own cannabinoids (called endocannabinoids), like anandamide and 2-arachidonoylglycerol (2-AG), on its own, but you may choose to boost your body’s natural supply. That’s where CBD-infused oils, foods, and skincare, come into play.
Unlike Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the intoxicating cannabinoid made famous by cannabis, CBD won’t get you high. In fact, by law, “hemp” is generally defined as cannabis that contains levels of THC that do not exceed 0.3%. Hemp extract can go through additional refining processes to attempt to wholly remove the THC molecule, without removing other beneficial cannabinoids or terpenes. This extraction process resulting in a format commonly called broad spectrum hemp extract, which is what we, at Prima, choose to use in our products.
CBD and skincare: how it works
A 2019 peer-reviewed study published in Molecules found that the Endocannabinoid System is “deeply involved in the maintenance of skin homeostasis.” In other words, your ECS may hold the key to the healthy skin you’ve spent so long trying to achieve with creams, salves, and peels.
Unlike ingestible CBD like a capsule or powder, which needs to travel through your digestive system, CBD skincare products make their way through the pores rather quickly, and their effects show themselves in the areas that they are applied. Other products such as our CBD softgel capsules or broad spectrum CBD drink powders can help complement the skincare products applied to your body, supporting glowing, healthy skin from the inside, out.*
How can CBD support healthy skin?
You drink tons of water, eat your fair share of healthy fats, and you never forget your sunscreen. But CBD may be the thing that takes your skin health to the next level. Here, some of the ways CBD can support skin integrity:
1. Clear skin goals? Consider CBD. This cannabinoid is probably best known for returning balance to your body when systems are out of sync — including your skin.
2. CBD’s antioxidant properties may have an anti-aging effect. Plant-based antioxidants are a cornerstone of organic, natural skincare. CBD is just one of the many natural sources that feature generous amounts of antioxidants.
3. CBD may take aim at sebum production. Problematic skin can strike at any age, driven by a combination of factors that include oily skin, dead skin cells, hormones, and waxy, pore-clogging sebum. A 2016 study published in Experimental Dermatology found that several cannabinoids, including CBD, can play a role in tapering your body’s natural sebum production.
4. CBD is all about supporting your skin and helping to bring it to its normal, healthy state — and dryness, signs of aging and the appearance of redness and discoloration are anything but. CBD’s skin-balancing effects can help keep those physical markers at bay.
5. CBD is soothing. Calming and non-irritating, CBD can be used for any skin type, and can make an excellent add-on for even those with delicate skin.
How can you fold CBD into your skincare routine?
Name a skincare or bodycare product, and its CBD-infused counterpart can be found right alongside it. Body lotions, bath bombs, face or body moisturizers, serums, face masks and more are being enhanced with CBD. And oftentimes, that CBD is paired with other powerful skin-calming ingredients, extracts and herbs. Here, just a few ways you can incorporate CBD skincare products into your regular routine:
- Bring CBD into the bath. If you’re already inclined to unwind in a hot bath, adding CBD to the mix can be a great way to maximize relaxation time. Not only does the CBD offer a full-body benefit, these CBD bath bombs are often coupled with relaxing essential oils and minerals designed to bring about a synergistic effect.
- Try a facial oil. There’s no need to change up your entire beauty regimen to enjoy the skin-loving benefits of CBD. Consider adding a facial oil as the last step of your nightly routine. One blended with beneficial oils and active botanicals, such as our Night Magic, can support soft, bright, intensely hydrated skin.
- Consider incorporating CBD into your diet. Whether you like your coffee with a CBD powder or prefer a softgel capsule, consuming this phytocannabinoid orally may help contribute to healthy and balanced skin from the inside, out*.
In short: CBD can be naturally integrated into your current skincare wellness routine with ease. And there’s no wrong way to do so — just begin by familiarizing yourself with different methods and products to find the one that’s right for you.