In a latte, at the beauty counter, and even in clothing — Cannabidiol (CBD) is practically inescapable. But why is this hemp-derived compound so ubiquitous? Here, we’ll explain how and why CBD promotes total body wellness*, the hemp extract types available, some examples of popular products, and why this phytocannabinoid supports skin health as well as head-to-toe balance.*
The ECS and us: how does CBD work?
Our bodies (and the bodies of all mammals) are home to an endogenous cannabinoid system, also called the endocannabinoid system or abbreviated as the ECS. The ECS plays a role in keeping our bodies in a healthy equilibrium. This system has receptors from head to toe, including the brain, nervous system, immune system, organs (including the skin). In recent decades, scientists discovered that phytocannabinoids from plants, including CBD and Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), interact with receptors clustered throughout the endocannabinoid system.* Two of these receptor types, called CB1 and CB2, have been identified so far.
It’s not only phytocannabinoids from the cannabis plant that interact with the ECS. Our bodies make their own cannabinoids, called endocannabinoids, that work with this system as well. Phytocannabinoids like CBD closely mimic endocannabinoids’ behavior in our bodies, assisting the body as it does what it wants to do naturally — stay balanced.*
Our skin certainly benefits from staying in balance. When our bodies are in balance, the outward signs of imbalance, such as the appearance of dryness and other signs of less-than-perfect, glowing skin, are greatly reduced as well.
What types of CBD are there?
All hemp extracts start by drawing out the plant’s compounds using a solvent, and then refining that extract to remove the solvent and undesired compounds like fats and waxes. While many use alcohol-based solvents like butane and ethanol, we at Prima use a gentle supercritical CO2 extraction process. This avoids the use of harsh chemicals and requires minimal heat, which can damage phytocannabinoids.
CBD products are generally made from one of three types of hemp ingredients: full-spectrum hemp extract, broad spectrum hemp extract, and CBD isolate. The chosen hemp-derived ingredient is then infused into creams, capsules, tinctures, and many more products.
Full spectrum hemp extract is the oil “as-is” from the plant, without removing any of the minor cannabinoids, terpenes, flavonoids, phytosterols, and other compounds. The oil includes CBD as well as many other compounds, including the trace amounts of THC that are naturally present in hemp plants.
Broad spectrum hemp extract preserves all those same compounds found in the full spectrum hemp extract, with one important exception —THC. This extract type goes through an additional process which attempts to further remove the molecule below quantifiable levels. All of our CBD products at Prima are made with this broad spectrum hemp extract.
CBD isolate is on the opposite end of the spectrum. This substance removes almost everything except for Cannabidiol. All minor cannabinoids, terpenes, flavonoids, and other compounds are taken out, leaving behind a fine powder composed of about 98 percent or greater pure CBD.
Knowing the options: 8 popular types of CBD
There are seemingly endless CBD product varieties out there — and there's a good fit for every individual and routine. Here, we’ll detail eight popular CBD product types and how they can be implemented.
- 1. Softgels: These small gems apportion a precise amount of hemp extract in each easy-to-swallow capsule. Some brands, including ours, exclusively use vegan capsules; we swap animal ingredients for non-GMO corn starch. At Prima, our The Daily softgels blend 15mg of broad spectrum hemp extract with other extracts and oils formulated to improve absorption of CBD. Take The Daily in the morning to help start the day or as part of an evening unwinding ritual.
- 2. Powder blends: Coffee beans, teas, seltzers, and mocktails are common CBD-infused beverages, but at Prima, we enable anyone to mix the CBD drink of their choice. CBD powder blends can be added to any beverage at any time of day; single-serve packets can be taken anywhere and stirred in without measuring — or mess. Our Go-To contains just hemp extract and features notes of cucumber Brain Fuel pairs CBD with nootropics for a daytime formula perfect for taking on the day with intention.* Rest Easy includes additional botanicals and extracts which help with winding down after a busy day.*
- 3. Lotions and body butters: Silky-smooth topicals support supple, properly hydrated skin. Use throughout the day or save as part of a daily post-shower ritual. Moisturizing hemp seed oil, coconut oil, and shea butter are just some of the components complemented by broad spectrum hemp extract in our Skin Therapy ultra-rich body butter.
- 4. Bath bomb: Sinking into a long, hot bath at the end of a long day is a perfect way to unwind. Broad spectrum hemp extract takes those long soaks to the next level, supporting a full-body CBD experience from head to toe. Our Soak It In Bath Gem combines 25mg of broad spectrum hemp extract with bath bomb greatest hits, including epsom salt, camphor, and lavender for the ultimate soothing experience.
- 5. Facial oil: Enriched with a number of valuable botanicals, oils, and extracts, face oils infused with broad spectrum hemp extract bring the power of the phytocannabinoid to a classic skincare item. Facial oils like our award-winning Night Magic formula bring vibrance back to dull, lifeless skin. Infused with prickly pear oil, moringa, avocado oil, and many other botanicals known for their hydrating properties, Night Magic is clinically proven to visibly boost skin firmness and radiance. Just a few drops each night does the trick.
- 6. Serums: Boost skin’s moisture content with a serum that delivers a concentrated blend of botanicals, vitamins, oils, and other compounds directly to thirsty skin. Our Enlightenment Serum blends niacinamide, a form of B3 demonstrated to improve skin’s appearance, with our clean broad spectrum hemp extract. Use the included dropper to deliver directly to the delicate skin on the face and neck.
- 7. Facial moisturizers: This hydrating, everyday skincare product includes ingredients that are gentle on delicate skin — including calming hemp extract. Paired with an Ayurvedic adaptogen complex and four types of hyaluronic acid, our clinically proven The Afterglow improves skin hydration by 35%.
- 8. Tinctures: This product mixes hemp extract with a carrier oil, such as hemp seed oil, olive oil, or MCT oil derived from coconuts, to create an oil-looking substance. Tinctures can be found in full spectrum, broad spectrum, and isolate varieties.
How CBD promotes healthy skin
CBD promotes total body balance from the inside-out, assisting with focus, relaxation, and energy*. Can CBD be the ingredient that takes skin to a next-level glow-up, too? Here’s how CBD works to support skin integrity:
- 1. CBD promotes all-over balance*: When taken as a dietary supplement, this cannabinoid is central to maintaining full-body balance.* Additionally, when applied topically to your skin, CBD can reduce the appearance of dryness, redness, or dull and lifeless skin.
- 2. CBD moisturizes skin: Moisturizing and non-irritating, CBD is compatible with many skin types.
- 3. CBD may improve the appearance of aging skin: CBD is one of the many natural sources of plant-based antioxidants that are beloved in skincare products of all types. And for good reason. Look no further than our wonder-working Night Magic, which improved the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles for 86 percent of clinical study participants.
Centralizing CBD health and wellness in our lives
With so many rumors swirling about what CBD does and which products actually make a difference, it can be difficult to discern fact from fiction. By getting to know our endocannabinoid system and its role in our bodies, we can then understand how phytocannabinoids influence this system and help keep us balanced, inside and out. Whether it’s a daily capsule in the morning or a relaxing soak at night, the key is identifying the products that fit best into our daily lives and routines.