Those small dropper bottles of CBD oil seem to be everywhere, from beauty counters to convenience stores and everywhere in between. But with the emergence of a new product comes a deluge of information to digest. Two terms you’ve likely seen while researching CBD are “oils” and “tinctures.” Here, we’ll review what these products are, the difference between them, and explore your CBD product options.
What is CBD?
CBD, or Cannabidiol, is one of the many phytocannabinoids found in cannabis plants, including hemp. Cannabinoids are already produced by your body, and are called endocannabinoids. Researchers have identified two so far: anandamide and 2-arachidonoylglycerol (2-AG). You may choose to use CBD to boost the cannabinoids your body is making on its own.
Unlike other cannabinoids, including its famous cousin Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), CBD is non-intoxicating. In fact, we at Prima take the extra step to remove the trace amounts of THC that occur naturally in hemp, resulting in broad spectrum hemp extract.
What is CBD oil?
CBD oil is an extract from hemp plants that contains high levels of Cannabidiol. This is made through a process called extraction, which involves putting harvested hemp through a process that draws out CBD and other vital compounds. The solvent separates the compounds from the plant material, leaving behind a solution that mimics the plant's native chemical profile, including its aromatic terpenes. That solution is then refined to remove any unwanted materials such as lipids and fats. At Prima, we use alcohol-free supercritical CO2 extraction to extract the phytocannabinoids from hemp, a process that’s free of hydrocarbons, toxins, and heavy metals. This extract is then used to create all sorts of CBD products, including skincare, bath bombs and capsules.
Generally, there are three types of CBD extract: full spectrum, broad spectrum, and isolate. Full spectrum is the oil as-is from the plant, including the trace amounts of Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) which occur naturally in hemp. Broad spectrum retains all the compounds in the plant, but attempts to further remove the THC molecule. CBD isolate removes everything that is not cannabidiol, resulting in an extract that is often 99 percent pure CBD. Full spectrum and broad spectrum are particularly sought after because of a theory called the entourage effect, which states that all cannabinoids, terpenes, and other compounds in hemp work in tandem to increase the activity of the major cannabinoid. At Prima, our products are formulated with broad spectrum phytocannabinoid hemp extract.
Other types of CBD products
Even a cursory glance at the market would tell you there are far more CBD products out there than tinctures. Here's a look at some of the CBD product types you can choose from:
- CBD capsules: Capsules simplify taking CBD, eliminating the dropper and measuring required for tinctures. A precise amount of CBD is contained in each capsule, so you know exactly how much CBD you’re taking with each capsule. Prima’s The Daily capsules pair CBD with hemp seed oil, clove oil, black pepper, and curcumin, formulated to best support CBD absorption. Our capsules are made with a proprietary encapsulation process formulated to maximize bioavailability. And we do all of that without using animal products: while many capsules contain bovine or fish gelatin, our capsules are a proud part of our fully-vegan product line.
- CBD topicals: A booming sector of the CBD market, nearly every type of self-care product can be found in a CBD-infused variant. The extract is added to body butters, facial oils, bath bombs, serums, and so much more. Topicals offer an excellent way to apply CBD for localized results, rather than ingesting it for broad, general applications. At Prima, our topicals are consciously formulated with CBD derived from hemp biomass grown using only organic principles as defined by the United States National Organic Program (NOP).
- CBD food and drink: These products, called edibles, make getting a serving of CBD as easy as eating a snack or sipping a drink. Our CBD-infused powder blends come in single-serve packets that can seamlessly blend into any liquid. Just like our capsules, this power is made with a proprietary process which maximizes bioavailability.
How to decide which CBD product is right for you
As you can see, the types of CBD products vary considerably. That’s because CBD products are about equal parts need and preference. Certain product types are designed to address specific needs, while others are best for general wellness. In addition, some products appeal to certain consumers more than others – those not inclined to take baths, for example, can opt for a lotion instead. The sheer number of CBD product types and options ensures there is always a significant degree of personal choice involved in the buying process. Ask yourself these questions while making your decision:
- 1. Why do I want to add CBD to my routine? By fully understanding your intentions, you can better determine which types of products might be useful for you. For example, if you want to use CBD products for hydrated skin, you can opt for a topical for localized effect, or even a capsule for glowing skin from the inside, out.
- 2. How do I want to use CBD? You should also address the precise method of how you want to use a CBD product. Discretion may be important to you, for example, and capsules provide discretion that doesn’t come with tinctures.
- 3. Does the product contain all the hemp compounds? Remember the entourage effect? That only occurs when you're using a product that contains all those minor cannabinoids and terpenes. Broad spectrum products like ours could be preferable if you want to make the most of the entourage effect.
- 4. Do I trust the CBD brand I am considering? Finally, a key question no matter what product you buy: Do you trust the brand? A reputable brand goes a long way, especially in the emerging and crowded CBD space. Always do your homework on a brand before buying to make sure they deliver the quality they promise, every time. Look for transparency in how the CBD and other ingredients are sourced. At Prima, we test our products at three stages during the manufacturing process. We also test for allergens and toxins according to the highest standards required of consumer goods.
Pick your preference
No matter which CBD product catches your eye, your choice comes down to what feels right for you and best fits your goals. As you use the product you’ve selected, focus on how you’re feeling and even how you’re not feeling. As you tune in and listen to your body and mind, you can further adjust your new regimen and discover how CBD best aligns with your wellness goals.