Everybody is different, so it comes as no surprise that taking Cannabidiol (CBD) isn’t a one-size-fits-all process. Because CBD efficacy is individualized for every person, a higher amount doesn’t always equate to a better result.
We recommend starting low and going slow. Dedicate time to listen to your body and assess how the active compounds of the plant are affecting you, in small and big ways. And perhaps instead of focusing on what you feel, you might want to think about what you don’t (goodbye stress and worry!*) We find this exploration to be enjoyable and introspective, so have fun with it. Here, a few tips to get you started.
What kinds of CBD products are available?
There are many different kinds of CBD-infused products out there. Depending on your desired use for CBD, one type of product might be more suitable than another. Among the most common types of CBD products available to choose from are:
- Topicals: CBD infused topicals, such as creams and lotions, offer a localized way to apply CBD. CBD topicals are an excellent addition to your skincare routine, helping to return your skin to its normal, happy state. Our Skin Therapy and R+R Cream are examples of CBD infused topicals, paired with ingredients that moisturize and soothe all skin types.
- Edibles: If you love snacks, CBD infused edibles might be for you. Edibles come in all shapes and sizes, from gourmet meals to baked goods. There are even beverage infusions, like our Beverage Elixirs formulated for morning, noon, and night, so you can transform your favorite drink into a hemp and botanical-infused delight.
- Capsules and softgels: CBD infused capsules and softgels are a simple and discreet way to add CBD to your routine. Our vegan softgels are specially designed to maximize absorption and bioavailability of cannabinoids.
How to take CBD products
You might be eager to try out your CBD product the moment you bring it home, but wait — it's important to ensure you're taking CBD the right way. Before diving in, follow our tips in this Magazine for an optimal experience with this phytocannabinoid:
- Prime your body with a nutrient-dense meal and water: Whenever you’re using CBD, make sure you are well-fed and well-hydrated. It’s important that CBD is used in conjunction with a healthy lifestyle, including local and organic plant-based food and lots of water. CBD is not a magical panacea: it is one piece of intentional, health-conscious living.*
- Choose a safe and bioavailable product: Because the CBD industry is so new, we don’t yet have adequate safety standards and manufacturing protocols in place to ensure the safety and efficacy of all products on the market. Until extensive safety testing is a requirement, it’s important to choose products from brands that willingly test their products using independent laboratories and share these results with consumers. Our products are tested at multiple stages for purity, consistency, potency, and quality.
Just as important, choose products that are bioavailable, meaning the CBD is formulated with other ingredients that optimize absorption into our bodies. If the CBD is infused in an oil like olive oil or fractionated coconut oil (MCT oil), we digest the product like food and are only able to absorb a small percentage of CBD. Choose a softgel or topical that is optimized for bioavailability.
- Talk to your healthcare provider: As with any supplement, it’s important to talk to your healthcare provider or doctor about your intentions, as they know your medical history best and can understand any potential drug interactions.
- Consume slowly and consistently: Because the results of CBD are individualized, there isn’t a “standard suggested use.” It’s up to you to understand what initial amount is best for your body and individual needs. However a small amount of 5 to 10mg (of a bioavailable product) is generally a good place to start. Try this amount either in the morning or at night, but note that for some people, CBD may cause slight drowsiness at certain levels.* Depending on how you feel after your first intake, you can work up to taking CBD twice a day if that supports your individual needs.
- Be patient and check in with yourself daily: CBD is considered cumulative, meaning it’s important to consume a consistent amount regularly, ideally every day. It may take some time for your body to adjust to the CBD, so be patient and monitor how you feel. Note any subtle or dramatic changes to your mood, energy, sleep quality, and overall wellness. Some people find journaling helpful as a way to regularly check-in and monitor progress. If you’re looking for more, consider increasing the amount you consume by 5 to 10mg and see how you feel. Once you find the right amount that works for you, continue to monitor your results and evaluate your progress every few weeks.
How to choose a CBD product
Intentions are everything: because there are so many potential use cases for CBD, it’s critical to understand your aims. What are you hoping to accomplish with CBD? How do you want to feel? Start by exploring within and setting your own intentions for your CBD journey. You can find your perfect fit from this foundation.
- Determine which type of CBD product you want to use: When you first explore your options, it might seem overwhelming. Keep coming back to one core question: "Why am I taking CBD?" If you're looking for a soothing facial oil to reinvigorate your skin, for example, a topical designed for that purpose is the clear winner. If you want a CBD product for general wellness, a capsule or a beverage elixir might be best suited for your needs.
- 1. Research your options – and know what to look for: A product might talk the talk, but does it walk the walk? Third-party laboratory test results can cut through the clutter and show you the facts behind product quality. At Prima, we don’t just test for potency: we use the highest global standards to rule out ingredients that will never make their way into our products.
- 2. Review customer feedback: Reading reviews is an excellent way to get acquainted with your potential new product before buying. Beyond the quality of the product itself (which is naturally of the utmost importance), hearing from real customers gives you true insight into what you might expect. Remember, though, that your experience may be unique, as no two people are the same — and that’s OK!
- 3. Give the product a try: Notice what you do and don’t feel. Because CBD is non-intoxicating, the physical effects may be subtle.* You may notice that you are experiencing more energy, less negative thoughts, better sleep, better moods, less stress or tension, or other subtle changes that may become more noticeable in time.* Notice the big and small changes and appreciate them all!