None of us are alone in feeling the weight of busyness in our lives. Our calendars are overflowing with appointments, kid’s dance classes and soccer practices, meetings, social occasions — and that’s not even mentioning work, or cooking a healthy dinner, or getting the proper amount of sleep each night. Sometimes, it can feel insurmountable to center yourself. With everything that is happening, and so many competing interests trying to grab your attention at any given time, how can one find peace of mind?
Peace of mind is a sense of calm, of relaxation, a clear lack of worry. You understand that you are in control of some things, and not in control of others, and you’re fine with what’s in either basket. But how is it possible to achieve such a state? With the right mindfulness practices and the help of a healthy lifestyle, it can be achieved. Here’s how.
Tips For Finding Peace of Mind
1. Ease your expectations. Setting the bar too high can be emotionally detrimental, especially when our expectations aren’t met. A University College of London study found that participants experienced a negative reaction when their expectations of a situation were not met. Meaning that, if expectations are kept low, we open ourselves up to the possibility of happiness when our low expectations are exceeded by more positive results. And if our low expectations were correct? At least we have the satisfaction of being right.
2. Incorporate some relaxing activities into your daily life. Taking time to be intentional with your body and mind is so important in creating peace of mind. Whether that looks like waking up and meditating or doing some yoga, having tea and reading a book every Sunday morning, or soaking in a warm bath at day’s end to really take the day off, self-care and relaxation can take on many forms. Nothing feels better than prioritizing one’s self. And if the latter relaxation tool is your preferred method, our Soak it in Bath Gem with minerals, moisturizing oils, and naturally occurring CBD.
3. Declutter your home and workspace. Minimalism is in, and for good reason. A clean, simple living area or workspace can promote a more productive existence. A study conducted by The Journal of Neuroscience concluded that, the more visual stimuli present in your space, the more prone you are to losing focus, which can diminish your inner peace significantly. Keeping your space free of clutter is just another way to practice intentionality.
4. Find a wellness practice that works for you. Incorporating wellness can look differently to each person. You could practice yoga daily, explore meditation, or incorporate a daily CBD capsule to promote balance in your life*. No matter which way you go, you can’t go wrong — what matters is that your wellness practice feels right for you and helps you reach your end goal of achieving peace of mind.
5. Don’t worry about the opinion of others. It can often feel like our lives begin and end at the will of others. But we often forget to consider that the right opportunities and people will exist in our lives no matter what. In caring too much about the opinions of others, we grant those people control over our lives — what we do, say, and how we act. In trusting ourselves and the universe to conspire to bring the right people and opportunities into our lives, we free ourselves.
6. Let go of what you can’t control. The world may seem out of sorts sometimes, and it can be easy to feel helpless in those situations. You may not be able to change the course of the globe, but you can control how you act and feel. Achieving peace of mind starts with letting go of what you cannot change, and with embracing the parts of your life and environment that you can shape for the better.
7. Practice patience and tolerance. Patience and tolerance can go a long way in combating negative mental health. A study by Schnitker and Emmons found that those who practice patience are less likely to experience negative emotions. According to the same study, higher levels of patience are correlated with more mindfulness and a deeper relationship with the world and the people in it. In tolerating other people, in being patient with not only yourself but with others, you’re promoting a life of peace, which can only add to your inner peace.
8. Learn to forgive. We’ve all heard the phrase, “forgive and forget,” but seldom do we consider the positive health impact of forgiveness. A study by Johns Hopkins Medicine found that harboring anger and resentment can actually create more hurt in the long run. Your mental, as well as your physical health, could be affected by animosity. By forgiving, you’re granting yourself peace of mind and an elevated calmness.
9. Let go of the past. So much of our present is affected by our past, by what brought us to this moment. It’s easy for the past to stay on the forefront of our minds. But Psychiatrist Elyssa Barbash is of the philosophy that “those who live in the moment tend to be happier, calmer and more relaxed, and appreciative.” Mindfulness and intention are our guiding forces, and there’s a reason for that. To be in this exact moment is the only place we possibly can be, so why put our minds anywhere else? Our Rest Easy Elixir promotes a good night’s sleep, which can assist in mindfulness during your waking hours*. And our Brain Fuel Elixir will help support your good mood and focus, which will help align you to the present moment*.
Finding peace of mind begins with yourself
Achieving peace of mind is certainly not the easiest task, and the journey to get there looks different for each person. At the start of each pathway, though, is putting yourself first. And with the help of the right intentionality — and the right products — it’ll be that much easier to get there.