This wonderfully simple, fresh and flavorful bowl is the stuff vegan and vegetarian dreams are made of. We dare you not to go back for seconds.
For the pesto:
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 cups packed baby spinach
1/2 cup packed basil leaves
1/4 cup walnuts
1 clove garlic
1/8 teaspoon salt
For the zoodles:
2 medium zucchini
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Dash ground black pepper
2 ounces soft fresh vegan cheese, crumbled
1/4 cup pitted black or green olives, minced
1. In a food processor combine 1/4 cup olive oil, spinach, basil, walnuts, garlic and salt. Cover and process until nearly smooth, stopping and scraping sides as needed.
2. Using a julienne peeler, make long slices along one side of each zucchini until you get down to the seeded core. Rotate the zucchini and continue to peel until you’ve done all four sides. (If you have a spiral slicer, you can use that instead of a julienne peeler.) Discard the core.
3. In a large skillet heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add zucchini noodles and pepper; cook for 3 to 5 minutes until crisp-tender. Remove from heat; add pesto and toss to coat.
4. Divide mixture between 2 serving bowls.
5. Top with vegan cheese and olives.
Recipe by Dr. Will Cole.