The compound found in hemp known as Cannabidiol (CBD) has made its way into a wide array of foods, drinks, topical products, and personal care products. How does this phytocannabinoid make its way from the hemp plant’s flowers and onto your vanity? It all begins with an extract that’s further refined and folded into the products you love.
What is CBD hemp oil?
CBD hemp oil is an extract from hemp plants that contains the same cannabinoids and terpenes in roughly the same proportions as its source plant. It is not to be confused with hemp seed oil, which is derived from the hemp seeds and contains virtually no phytocannabinoid content. CBD hemp oil is the essential ingredient in every CBD product, from topicals like body butter, moisturizers and athletic gels to edibles like gourmet meals and CBD beverage infusions.
CBD hemp oil and CBD oil are terms that refer to hemp extract that contains CBD or a CBD tincture which mixes the compound in a carrier oil. “Full-spectrum” or THC-free “broad spectrum” extract contains CBD as well as other phytocannabinoids, terpenes, and other compounds, so some refer to it as an oil. Products that are made from CBD isolate, which contains no other phytocannabinoids and terpenes, are simply called CBD.
How is CBD hemp oil extracted?
CBD hemp oil is extracted by applying a solvent to the harvested hemp. This process draws out the valuable phytocannabinoid content, as well as all other compounds found in hemp. That solution is then refined to separate unwanted elements like fats and lipids, leaving behind only the most desirable compounds, especially the CBD content. The resulting extract is called whole-plant hemp extract.
Alcohol-based or petrochemical-based solvents are frequently used to draw out whole-plant hemp extract. However, at Prima, we want our products to be free of these harsh chemicals. That's why we only employ supercritical CO2 extraction methods to get our CBD. Using carbon dioxide instead of alcohols and solvents like butane guarantees that our CBD hemp oil will always be of the safest, food-grade quality. That means there are no toxins or residual solvents that are left behind in the final product – and we demonstrate that through extensive, batch-specific third party testing which you can access directly from our website or by scanning a code on our packaging.
Three properties of CBD hemp oil
To better understand how CBD hemp oil is used in the CBD products you are familiar with, it helps to be acquainted with some of the most important characteristics of the extract. What can you expect to find in the hemp extract used in our products?
- 1. CBD hemp oil is high in CBD content: As the name suggests, CBD hemp oil contains a significant amount of CBD. Cannabidiol is one of the most prominent cannabinoids found within the hemp plant, and so it is a major component of the extract as well. The concentration of CBD in a typical CBD oil varies greatly, sometimes as low as 10% or as high as 25% or more, depending on the cultivar from which the hemp extract was sourced.
- 2. CBD hemp oil has little to no THC: Despite the high levels of CBD content, CBD hemp oil should contain relatively little Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the intoxicating compound found in marijuana. While trace amounts of THC can be found in the hemp plant, it legally must be no more than 0.3% concentration. As a result, there should always be 0.3% THC or less in CBD hemp oil, as well. At Prima, we go the extra step to further remove the trace amounts of THC, resulting in the broad spectrum hemp extract used in our products.
- 3. CBD hemp oil contains terpenes: Cannabinoids aren't the only compounds you can find in CBD hemp oil. Terpenes, flavorful and aromatic compounds that are found in the hemp plant, also make their way into the mix. Terpenes like pinene, limonene, and beta-caryophyllene are thought to augment the influence of cannabinoids as well.
What products can CBD hemp oil be found in?
If it weren't for CBD hemp oil, it would not be possible to create many of the infused products people use every day. Some of the most popular products include:
- CBD edibles: Edible products mean you can incorporate CBD into your favorite foods and drinks. CBD powder blends, for example, make it easy to add CBD to your water or a cup of tea. Some brands offer prepared foods and snacks infused with CBD, or some may choose to prepare their own CBD edibles at home with butter or other fat infused with CBD hemp oil.
- CBD topicals: Topicals are a diverse group of products that include moisturizers – like our Night Magic CBD face oil or restorative CBD face cream The Afterglow — as well as skin rubs. Topicals also include fun items like our Bath Gem, an effervescent mineral soak formulated for relaxation.
- CBD capsules: Capsules or soft gels make it easy to take your CBD at any time of day that works for you. At Prima, we call our CBD capsule The Daily because once you try it, you won't want to go a day without it.
CBD hemp oil and wellness
Folding a CBD product into your everyday wellness routine can take many forms, from the daily soft gel to an as-desired beverage elixir, to an end-of-day relaxing treat in the form of a hot, CBD-infused bath. Whatever your reason for considering CBD products, be sure to always prioritize products produced with quality CBD hemp oil extract. At Prima, we source organic hemp sun-grown on family farms and use only the cleanest extraction methods to create the hemp CBD oil that goes into each one of our products.