The Prima Standard
The Prima Standard
We hold ourselves to unparalleled standards of quality, purity, safety and efficacy —
for you and for the greater good. As leaders in this transformative industry, we seek to raise the bar and set the course.
Every Prima product is designed, developed, manufactured and validated according to these standards and principles.
Single Origin, Family Farms
Petroleum Free Hemp Extraction
Clean & Sustainable
Vegan & Cruelty Free
3rd Party Tested & Validated
1. Science Led
Doctor formulated with clinically researched, consciously designed, and scientifically validated raw ingredients.
2. Highest Quality Hemp
We have strict standards for sourcing our hemp.
- Controlled Genetics: Non-GMO, single origin seed naturally rich in CBD, secondary cannabinoids, omegas, polyphenols and terpenes
- Organic Cultivation: Organically grown with sustainable practices — cultivated in Oregon with a small collective of multi-generational family farms
- Broad Spectrum Hemp: To ensure the richness of the plant actives, we ban the use of cannabidiol isolate and will only use broad and full spectrum extracts
- Clean Extraction: Extracted and purified using CO2 (safest, food grade technique) to ensure it’s free of toxic, petroleum residual solvents and harsh processing methods that can compromise ingredient quality and safety
- Tested and Validated: Tested and validated 5 times for purity, potency and safety: at harvest, primary extraction, secondary purification, before manufacturing, and in the final product.
3. Clean, Pure & Safe —
100% Clean. 0% Questionable
Our precautionary commitment dictates that we actively avoid the use of chemicals of concern. We will never use harmful, questionable or harsh ingredients — or ingredients that do not meet our strict safety standards. That means NO ingredients known to be carcinogens, reproductive toxins, neurotoxins, developmental toxins, endocrine disruptors, or that cause organ toxicity, DNA or cell damage or environmental harm.
Our robust, industry-defining Restricted Chemicals List identifies over 2800+ chemicals, ingredients, and materials Prima chooses NOT to use and formulate without — many of which have potential for health, eco-toxicity and/or contamination concerns. This rigorous screening effort is ongoing and never stops, as science, regulations and ingredient data continues to evolve.
Find a list of our Top 50 Banned Ingredients at the bottom of this page.
We know that operating our business has an environmental impact, and we consciously seek to minimize this wherever and however possible.
- Vegan: We do not use any ingredients derived from animals or their by-products, ever.
- Recycled & Renewable: We maximize our recycled content where possible, always use glass as our material of first choice, and have banned the use of ABS plastic, PVC plastic and plastic shrink wraps on bottles and jars. Actionable Metrics: 14% of our packaging is recycled, 85+% is recyclable, and 75% of our primary packaging is glass (renewable and recyclable).
- Certified Sustainable Paper Sources: Use only FSC or SFI certified, biodegradable cardstock for cartons.
- Beyond Carbon Neutral: As a business, we are certified carbon neutral by Climante Neutral across all 3 scopes of corporate operations (corportate, production, supply chain, shipping) by offsetting 100% of our activites and more through Carbon Fund, which invests in verified reforestation projects.
5. Quality Tested & Validated
We have a comprehensive testing and validation protocol to ensure we meet the highest standards of purity, potency and safety for every batch of our products. We test 5 times throughout our supply chain to ensure our products meet exacting specifications of active and inactive ingredients. The 3rd party, ISO-accredited labs we use adhere to comprehensive, pharmaceutical-grade industry controls and processes.
- Raw Materials Validation: We verify every raw material, ingredient and component. For our hemp, we test 5 times — once before it’s extracted to ensure it has less than 0.3% THC; twice during extraction to ensure it’s free of pesticides, heavy metals, mycotoxins and residual solvents; once before batching; last, in the finished product to ensure full potency.
- In-Process Testing: We test every in-process batch for homogeneity and identity to confirm consistency.
- Finished Product Testing: The most important step, as we test every finished product using advanced HPLC to ensure purity and potency, that it is free of pollutants, and to verify that there has been no microbiological contamination during manufacturing.
- We test every finished product for the following:
- Potency Testing (Label claim verified)
- Terpene Profile Testing
- Microbiological / Bacteria Contamination Testing
- Mycotoxin Testing
- Heavy Metals Testing
- Adulterants Testing
- Glyphosate Residue Testing
- Residual Solvent Testing
We also test all of our topicals for allergenicity (“hypoallergenic”) and skin safety (RIPT), as well as long-term shelf stability.
The right-to-know is a fundamental principle. We are fully transparent, open and forthright.
- Disclosure: We disclose all input raw ingredients for our products on each package, on our Prima website, and our online Ingredient Glossary (including source and function).
- Test Result Accessibility: On every product outer carton, we print a scannable QR code where consumers can find 3rd party / independent batch testing validation and results known as a Certificates of Analysis (COA) for that particular production lot of product. On every product page we also make these 3rd party / independent test results publicly available for review to all.
- Corporate Accessibility: We have a text line where customers can text us 24-7 (Text "Prima" to 29071) to ask any questions and get answers.
Ammonium Laureth Sulfate
Benzene, Benzoic Acid
BHA (Butylated Hydroxyanisole) & BHT (butylated hydroxytoluene)
Formaldehyde (& releasers/donors)
High Fructose Corn Syrup
Hydrogenated oils (supplements)
Mercury + Mercury Compounds
Methyl Cellosolve / 2-Methoxyethanol
Mineral Oil / Petrolatum
Perfluorinated and Polyfluorinated compounds
Polysorbate-20 & Polysorbate-40
Polyvinyl chloride (PVC)
Quaternary ammonium compounds
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) & Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES)
Synthetic / natural fragrance (will always disclose aromatic material)
TBHQ (tertiary butylhydroquinone)
Triphenyl Phosphate (Phosphoric Acid)